[CentOS] CentOS on SSDs...

Wed Apr 13 17:08:35 UTC 2011
Jim Nelson <jim at broadtime.com>

On 4/13/2011 12:28 PM, John Doe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was just wondering if there are specific steps to take to install CentOS on
> SSDs...
> By example, no swap partition?
> Format with a flash fs?
> Sysctl parameters?
>
> Thx,
> JD

We're running an nginx frontend on SSDs right now - don't bother with things like JFFS2, they're intended for SoC distros that have
raw flash chips memory-mapped to the controller. Most of that intelligence is handled by the SSD controller.

CentOS 5 does not have TRIM capability - I'm not sure if CentOS 6 will or not, though. The most important part of setting up SSDs on
a server is to mount all the filesystems with the noatime option - that reduces the filesystem writes tremendously. Having a good
controller is equally important - don't run them on a $25 SATA card.

And, since memory (up to a point) is cheaper than SSDs, fill the box with memory sticks. Keep a swap partition, but put in far more
memory than you think you will need, and that way you won't hit swap unless the excrement really hits the air mover.  At least,
that's how we're doing it.

--
Jim Nelson
Systems Administrator, Broadtime