[CentOS] SNMP monitoring options

Wed Apr 13 19:47:12 UTC 2011
Tim Nelson <tnelson at rockbochs.com>

----- Original Message -----
> On Apr 13, 2011, at 12:28 PM, Jerry McAllister wrote:

> >> Well, Nagios is more for outage/alerts were I was looking more for
> >> trending.
> >>
> >> Thats why I was originally using Cacti w/Nagios plugin.
> >
> > I haven't been following this thread, so I may be on the wrong
> > track,
> > but have you checked out something called 'rrdtool' and its pal
> > 'mrtg'?
> >
> > See: http://www.mrtg.org/rrdtool/
> >
> > At least their intention is to help you reveal trends in various
> > lengths of time and almost any metric you come up with. I believe
> > some people have already worked out using it with snmp, at least
> > for some things.
> >
> > ////jerry
>
> Hi Jerry,
>
> So nice of you to chime in.
>
> Ummm, Cacti and I'm sure Opsview use rrdtool to generate there graphs.
>
> In fact, my post was to ask for a more friendly tool as Cacti graphs
> get un ruley.

Have a look at Zabbix [1]. It's fantastic with both alerting *AND* trending. Plus, the data is malleable into other forms for custom reporting, etc.

The only issue I've found thus far is *current* documentation is quite lacking. The best reference I've found is a third party book available from Packt. [2]

--Tim

[1] http://www.zabbix.com
[2] http://www.packtpub.com/zabbix-1-8-network-monitoring/book