[CentOS] bizarre system slowness

Wed Apr 13 21:14:36 UTC 2011
Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>

On 04/13/2011 01:16 PM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:

> Any RAID setups go into self-repair mode?

No RAID here, just LVM - not too different from the default redhat-style
setup of the system drives (except the additional SAN stuff and DB).

Anyway, if the drives are the cause, then riddle me this:

scp test.tar.gz bad-server:/dev/null

Fast to the healthy siblings, slow to the sick machine.

Could the network be the problem? I doubt it. Each system has 4 physical
Ethernet ports, bonded two by two. Each bonded pair is connected to a
different VLAN. This system is slow on both VLANs.

In any case, the explanation would have to account for the fact that
network transfers, *and* local disk activity, are both slow.

--
Florin Andrei
http://florin.myip.org/