[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Thu Apr 14 15:39:21 UTC 2011
Ross Walker <rswwalker at gmail.com>

2011/4/14 Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>:
> On Thursday, April 14, 2011 04:13:19 PM Steve Brooks wrote:

>> > Even better, use LVM and stay away from partitioning completely.
>>
>> Is it not ok to build the filesystem straight onto the device and not
>> bother with patitioning at all.
>
> Of course it is ok. The default install will put your filesystem directly on
> LVs (of course). If you're referring to PVs directly on a scsi device then
> that is fine to.

The only real reason to put PVs within partitions is to prevent
accidental clobbering of data as fdisk/sfdisk don't see the LVM
metadata, but if you have a partition marked as type LVM then it will
see that.

If the disk is really big though I don't think you need to worry too
much as it's hard to mistake your 20TB disk for another and most
fdisk/sfdisk implementations will refuse to operate on disks that
large.

If it's a concern though use gparted and GPT partition table. Check
your LV alignments in any case, whole disk or partition, and muck with
the PV metadata to get that first LV on sector 2048.

-Ross