[CentOS] centosplus kernel not up to date ?

Sat Apr 16 18:56:38 UTC 2011
Akemi Yagi <amyagi at gmail.com>

On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 11:46 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 4/16/11 12:50 PM, Nicolas Ross wrote:
>> Is it possible that the kernel in the centosplus repo is not up to date ?
>>
>> The centosplus kernel I have is kernel-PAE-2.6.18-238.5.1.el5 and the
>> regular one is 2.6.18-238.9.1.el5...
>>
>> I need the plus because of the firewire drivers.
>
> I thought that firewire was finally backed into the stock RHEL kernel a few revs
> ago at least as a 'technology preview'.  Maybe you have to do something to
> enable it.   I used to use the centosplus kernel for that and reiserfs but
> haven't used those drives for a while.

If it is the classic stack of firewire drivers that are required, and
there is nothing else needed from the centosplus kernel, a good
solution is to get the kABI-tracking firewire modules from ELRepo:

http://elrepo.org/tiki/tiki-index.php?page=kmod-ieee1394

It provides:

dv1394.ko
eth1394.ko
ieee1394.ko
ohci1394.ko
pcilynx.ko
raw1394.ko
sbp2.ko
video1394.ko

Because they survive kernel updates transparently and you can run the
distro kernel, there will be no "waiting" for each kernel update.

Akemi