[CentOS] Gnome Notification Applet

Mon Apr 18 01:27:47 UTC 2011
Bob Hepple <bhepple at promptu.com>

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:06:59 -0500
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 16, 2011 at 2:39 AM, Patrick Lists
> <centos-list at puzzled.xs4all.nl> wrote:
> > On 04/16/2011 06:34 AM, Ron Blizzard wrote:
> > [snip]
> >> without success. Is there a configuration file I can change or a
> >> configuration program I can run to customize this?
> >
> > Afaik there is no way to make Gnome applets that make use of the
> > Notification Area by design to do something outside of the Notification
> > Area.
>
> Well... that's not good.
>
> >  > I realize it's not a huge deal, but it's an irritant. Why does Gnome
> >  > want to limit the ability to customize?
> >
> > If you want the ability to customize everything have a look at KDE.
>
> Or maybe XFce.

Even better - fluxbox! Yay!

... I use alsa tools for volume control - I have them tied to keys like
this (and then no need for gnome-volume-control or pulseaudio!):

XF86AudioLowerVolume :ExecCommand (amixer set Master 5%-)
XF86AudioRaiseVolume :ExecCommand (amixer set Master 5%+)
XF86AudioMute :ExecCommand (amixer set Master 0%)

... no, it's not for noobs so be prepared to hack at the configuration
files.

Bob (fluxbox fanboi!)

--
Bob Hepple <bhepple at promptu.com>