[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Tue Apr 19 06:39:55 UTC 2011
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

On Sunday, April 10, 2011 12:02:52 PM Christopher J. Buckley wrote:
> It does - to an extent. Red Hat has a policy of releasing a major
> release every 18-24 months (I know RHEL-6 has slipped outside of this
> window),

A total of 3 years, 8 months of time elapsed between EL5 and EL6. That's well
over 2x 18 months, and only 4 months shy of 2x the "24 month" part of their
timetable. Their reasons for this large delay are, no doubt, significant. They
had every financial incentive to release RHEL 6 years ago, but they didn't.
This fact bespeaks an intense amount of integrity which I, for one, admire,
respect, and appreciate.

This same integrity is something I've come to expect from CentOS, as well.

Let's be fair; Red Hat exists to make money, to which they are entitiled. But
they've done a wonderful job supporting the spirit and letter of the GPL  in
their RHEL and related software projects.

I'm not sure there is an open-source software company in existence that
releases more high quality, open source software for use by the general
public. Whatever we can say about Red Hat,

if we really didn't like the results of their efforts, we wouldn't be here, now
would we?

-Ben

believed to be clean.