[CentOS] glibc-2.5-58.el5_6.2.i686 broken?

Tue Apr 19 10:26:17 UTC 2011
Ron Blizzard <rb4centos at gmail.com>

On Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:48 PM, Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com> wrote:

> Are only the nVidia chipsets + *proprietary* nVidia drivers?  And only
> Evolution and Gnome-Panel?  And is it 32-bit AND 64-bit or only 32-bit
> (or only 64-bit)?

I can't say -- this is just my personal experience. The two machines
that are affected are 32-bit with nVidia video cards and proprietary
drivers. The two that are not affected are using Intel video chips. I
think it only affects Gnome-Panel and Evolution -- so it's a pretty
selective bug to start with.

> I have a batch of 32-bit diskless workstations, powered by a 32-bit
> server (all but one uses an Intel video chip, and the last is something
> else -- not nVidia), one regular workstation (don't think it is nVidia
> either).  A 32-bit laptop with a ATI video chip and a 64-bit desktop
> with a nVidia video chip, but NOT the proprietary nVidia driver (I have
> no use for 3D accel and refuse to mess with nVidia's proprietary
> drivers).  All of these machines are still at CentOS 5.5, but I'd like
> to update them to 5.6.  Oh, the laptop and the 64-bit workstation are
> *my* machines and *I* don't use *any* desktop manager (neither GNome
> nore KDE) on either machine.
>
> Oh, no one uses Evolution on any of these machines (one person uses
> Thunderbird).

Again, I'm merely asking others whether this bug is selective as far
as video chips go pr not (I'm trying to find a pattern).. Don't not
come to any conclusions based on my four machines.

--
RonB -- Using CentOS 5.6