[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

Sun Apr 24 15:34:38 UTC 2011
Robert Heller <heller at deepsoft.com>

> 2011/4/24 Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>:
> > I have a LinkSys WRT54GL router,
> > which I would like to attach to my CentOS-5.6 server,
> > to set up a LAN 192.168.2.* .
> > The server is attached to the internet
> > through a Billion modem/router which has a single ethernet outlet.
> >
> > The instructions for the LinkSys router
> > assume that it is being attached directly to an ADSL modem.
> > But for various reasons I want everything to go through my server.
>
> Without any information on what the purpose of such a setup would be,
> it's close to impossible to give you any recommendations. Is it
> because you want to use your CentOS system as a firewall? a router? a
> HTTP proxy? a network sniffer?
>
> Or is it because you only have one external ethernet outlet and you
> want to access the internet on your other systems, while the services
> on your server still can be accessed from the outside? In the last
> case, you would normally just put your server on the LAN and do
> port-forwarding on your router. If it's because you want your server
> to be "outside" of your LAN, a more correct approach would be to setup
> a DMZ zone on your router, dedicate one of the LAN ports as DMZ port
> and connect your server there.
>
> > I wonder if anyone has set up a system like this?
>
> Perhaps, perhaps not, depends on what the purpose of the system is.

I would guess that the OP just wants a Wireless Access Point.  It is
hard (impossible at retail outlets) to get 'just an Access Point',
although I think Linksys, et. al. still make just plain Access Points
these are no longer commonly available at the retail level.

I am using a Netgear 'Wireless Router' as an  Access Point. *I* don't
even have broadband Internet at all (I use dialup).  Just leave the WAN
jack unconnected.  Use a machine with a wired network (RJ45) that gets
its IP address via DHCP and connect this with an Cat5 cable to any of
the LAN ports on the Router, let it get an address automagically from
the router and connect to the router via the router's default IP
address with a web browser.  You should then be able to 'login' to the
admin pages using the default username and password.  If you can, you
can disable the WAN (in the case of the cheap Netgear box, you can't
and it will bitch and moan about not having internet access to check
for firmware updates -- I just ignore it).  I just disable the router's
DHCP server, set its IP address to something consistent with my LAN (a
static IP address in the same subnet, with the proper netmask, etc.),
tell it to use *my* DHCP server, default route, etc. Oh, and set up its
SSID and security. I run DHCP on my desktop for my LAN. Once the router
is set up to work with your LAN, just jack a Cat5 from any of its LAN
ports to your switch.