[CentOS] Attaching LinkSys WRT54GL to CentOS machine

Mon Apr 25 01:05:46 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

John R Pierce wrote:

> I don't actually think my motives are relevant.
>> In case I didn't described the situation clearly,
>> my CentOS server is connected to an ADSL modem by ethernet (eth0).
>> The modem's IP address is 192.168.1.254 .
>
> your goal is very relevant if youj are expecting us to suggest a
> workable solution.

My point was that you suggested various alternatives
to what I was aiming at.
There is a perfectly simple "solution",
which is actually what I am doing now,
namely to attach the router to the modem.
But as I said, I am hoping for a solution
where all data will pass through my server.

> but ouch, sounds like your modem is ALSO a NAT router, and is probably
> running DHCP already.  what IP is eth0 of this linux PC ?

The server currently has IP address 192.168.1.2,
and the modem has IP address 192.168.1.254.

> assuming I'm right, and your modem is in fact doing NAT routing too,
> then I'd put DD-WRT or Tomato opensource firmware on the WRT54GL,
> configure it for LAN only use, so all 5 ports are LAN, plug it into the
> modem, plug your computer(s) into the WRT's switch also, and configure
> the WRT"s wireless.   now all your systems will be on that 192.168.1.xxx
> subnet.

Can one actually have two NICs on a computer in the same LAN?
I would have thought that would cause problems?

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net