[CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access

Tue Apr 26 19:45:14 UTC 2011
Richard Mollel <unixtipz at yahoo.com>

--- On Tue, 4/26/11, Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com> wrote:

> From: Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access
> Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2011, 12:25 PM
> Currently I have VNC running on my
> Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server.  Since Linux is
> more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my
> Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or
> some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if
> it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on
> the
> Linux server?
>
> Todd
>
> --
> Ariste Software
> Petaluma, CA 94952
>
> http://www.aristesoftware.com

I would say install Xming. ( http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming/)
Once this is installed on windows, setup ssh session, with a command to run on server side (i.e. linux box) as either /usr/bin/gnome-session or /usr/bin/startkde (depending on your favorite dwm). Using single screen mode configuration, you get your remote gnome desktop on your windows side. No software to install on linux.

Alternatively, if you want to work on Linux, and have a windows feel, use rdesktop from linux->windows::

"rdesktop -f -a 16 host.domain.com"

To toggle out of full screen mode, use "Ctrl-Alt-Enter"

BEST of ALL, you can forward your local disk to remote (window) machine, such that if you saved files locally, you can access them on windows, without a need to samba (reverse samba, sort of).
To forward:

"rdesktop -f -a 16 -r 'disk:linux=/home/Username' host.domain.com"  and your local homedir (in this case) will be mounted on windows as a removable storage.