[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Tue Apr 26 20:57:18 UTC 2011
Emmanuel Noobadmin <centos.admin at gmail.com>

Unfortunately, things still don't work.

<rant>
It's just ridiculous that the installer under KVM does not detect the
cdrom drive it was booted from. Trying to do a net-install doesn't
work, maybe I messed up the networking even though br0 and eth0 is
working on the host.

Nevermind, let's install apache and use the mounted ISO. Verified
apache is working and the CentOS folder is accessible via web browser.
But, still the guest installer cannot seem to access the installation
files.

OK, so maybe I messed up the networking, after all I am the noob...
maybe specifying --network=bridge:br0 isn't enough. There was
something about a tap or tunnel when initially reading up on bridged
networking. Looking up more on this, there are several resources
(sorry KVM FAQ leads to a page that no longer exist) which like many
other instructions, give the commands without really explaining
what/why.

So I have to run some tunctl command and scripts to add a bridge and
tunnel/tap... but wait, I already made my bridge, will running the
script kill my networking by creating a second bridge? Especially the
warning about temporarily loosing connectivity due to ifcfg1 being
reset.

And if I need to run this script everytime in order to activate the
bridge and tunnel, doesn't that mean all my guest OS are screwed if
the host reboots while I'm not around? Shouldn't these things go into
permanent files like if-tun0 or something?

Every year, I get a little closer to not using VMWare but it seems
like this year is going to be victory for VMWare again.

CC to kvm mailing list but I expect, like my previous request for help
to the list, it will be rejected by mailman or a moderator.
</rant>

Just damn frustrated, even if it's probably just me being too stupid
to know how to use KVM.