[CentOS] INN removed from CentOS 6

Wed Apr 27 14:50:07 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/27/2011 9:24 AM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> I use inn to make internal company announcements and
>>   discussions available to remote offices.
>>   I note inn is removed form RHEL 6. What replaces inn?
>>
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/apc.html
>>
>> Will inn be available from elsewhere? Will I have to compile
>>   it?
>>
>> Should I modify my scripts to create and install html files
>>   for a web server? That would make article deletion, archiving,
>>   and maintenance more difficult than it is with the inn
>>   nntp server.
>>
>> Is there some "forum" type package that would be better
>>   than the inn system?
>
> You could install one of several (open source) CMS packages, that work
> with a database (MySQL) and a Webserver (Apache) and are generally
> coded in PHP.  WordPress is a fairly simple system that might give you
> what you want. Not exactly a "forum", but does allow people to
> 'comment' on blog entries (posts), which might be all you need.  It
> does allow for the site adminstrator to grant authoring privs to other
> users.  And there might be plugins that implement full-fledged forums
> (I haven't looked). Joomla! is a more comprehensive CMS system and it
> does have extensions that implement forums.

A wiki works well for this sort of thing too, especially if it has the
ability to email notifications about updates.  Inn/news does have an
advantage in scaling and resource consumption, but the real issue here
is retraining the users, especially if they are currently using a combo
news/email client that automatically sees new messages posted to a
group.  I've always wondered if there is a free equivalent of the
software running http://news.lugnet.com/ which seems to be
simultaneously a web forum, a newsgroup, and an email list, depending on
how you access it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com