[CentOS] User accounts management for small office

Wed Apr 27 20:33:54 UTC 2011
Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane <todd.denniston at navy.mil>

Salt below appropriately to the fact that I have only looked at using
these, I have not yet done the implementation I want to do.

In the LDAP arena 398 [2] looks to me like it should ease a) the
mysteries of configuring LDAP, and b) integrate with AD. 389 is in EPEL.

> and it looks like the main source of my current problem is that my
> Samba
> network is setup now as a Workgroup and not as a Domain.  I didn't
> understand that difference when I ran across the quote I included
> above.  It
> looks like if I change to a Domain and configure it properly with
> Wins/Winbind that I should be able to have the single point password
> changing option occur from the Windows desktop.  I am now re-reading
> sections of my copy of the Definitive Guide to Samba 3 which should
> help me
> (although it was published before Vista and 7, which all my
> workstations are
> now).

You may also want to look at the samba Franky[1] which could get you
enough of samba4 to (from what I understood and want it for) become the
full PDC for the windows system, but it is as the name suggests a
monster.

[1] https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Franky
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Main_Page#Franky
    https://wiki.samba.org/index.php/Combined_build_issues

[2] http://directory.fedoraproject.org/

In any case, when you get something working, I would like to see the
success story here.