[CentOS] ssh in while in fsck

Wed Apr 27 21:25:22 UTC 2011
Brian Mathis <brian.mathis+centos at betteradmin.com>

On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:28 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> Brian Mathis wrote:
>> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>>> My manager reminds me that "in the old Sun days", the ssh server came up
>>> first, *before* the fsck on boot, so that if there was a problem, and
>>> fsck was waiting for an answer, you could remotely ssh in, kill it,
> restart
>>> it, and answer (or give it the right flags).
>>>
>>> Does anyone know if it's possible to have that happen with CentOS? It
>>> would be nice to have it boot that way, so that if you checked, and
>>> figured it should have been up already, you could handle the problem
>>> without coming in....
>>
>> I think having a decent remote console is the solution to that.  DRAC,
>> KVMoIP, Serial console, etc...  I'm not sure how it could be
>> considered safe to start services like sshd before the filesystem has
>> been checked.
>
> Hmm, now *that's* an interesting thought: with, say, DRAC, could you ssh
> into a management server, then go to a booting system?
>
>       mark

A DRAC can provide:
- Web interface to server control and monitoring functions
- Remote console (KVM)
- SSH login to a command-line server control
- SSH login to Serial console redirect

I haven;t used the SSH part that much.  However, DRAC is Dell
specific, and must be purchased with the server.  With remote console,
you might be able to get in, but I'm not sure if the other gettys are
running before the fsck starts.

// Brian Mathis