[CentOS] ssh in while in fsck

Thu Apr 28 08:38:44 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/27/2011 03:22 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 27, 2011 at 4:14 PM,  <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
>> My manager reminds me that "in the old Sun days", the ssh server came up
>> first, *before* the fsck on boot, so that if there was a problem, and fsck
>> was waiting for an answer, you could remotely ssh in, kill it, restart it,
>> and answer (or give it the right flags).
>>
>> Does anyone know if it's possible to have that happen with CentOS? It
>> would be nice to have it boot that way, so that if you checked, and
>> figured it should have been up already, you could handle the problem
>> without coming in....
>>
>>        mark
>

> I think having a decent remote console is the solution to that.  DRAC,
> KVMoIP, Serial console, etc...  I'm not sure how it could be
> considered safe to start services like sshd before the filesystem has
> been checked.

sshd can't come up before the fsck ... fsck is done on unmounted file
systems.  On the old Sun machines (and the new ones for that matter)
there was a remote console (exactly what Brian mentions) that you had
access to where you started the OS.  This Console allow you to see
things before sshd was turned on via the machine, but it was also on a
separate IP address from the machine.