[CentOS] Install CentOS as KVM guest

Thu Apr 28 13:18:58 UTC 2011
Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org>

On 04/28/2011 06:46 AM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 4/28/11, Gleb Natapov <gleb at redhat.com> wrote:
>> So why don't you use virt-manager?
>
> The original intention was to run the host without any graphical
> desktop or anything not necessary to host the guests. That was based
> on reading and such which recommends not having anything beyond the
> necessary to minimize potential security problems and maximize
> resources available.
>
> Then there were those pages which warn that virt-manager didn't work
> too well if bridged networking was required.
>
> Last but not least, when I finally gave up and installed the desktop,
> virt-manager couldn't find the hypervisor. Checking up, it appears
> that the user needed additional permissions to certain files, which
> after given and tested via CLI, I still get errors.
>
> Starting up X as root gave me this ominous warning that I really
> shouldn't be doing this and since I didn't think it was wise in the
> first place to have the desktop with root access running on what's
> supposed to be a production machine, I stopped trying that route and
> went back to figuring how to get virt-install to work.

You don't have to run an entire X desktop on the server to use
virt-manager there.

If you have a graphical linux workstation on the same network (x can be
slow across a WAN, so I would only do it locally), you can just do this
from the workstation with X running:

ssh -XY -l root <server_name>

then from the server do this:

virt-manager

This will run just the application "virt-manager" on the server and push
the video display back to your machine.

You may need to run this on the workstation before you ssh to the server
machine:

xhost +