[CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access

Fri Apr 29 14:10:25 UTC 2011
Richard Mollel <unixtipz at yahoo.com>

--- On Wed, 4/27/11, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access
> To: centos at centos.org
> Date: Wednesday, April 27, 2011, 1:59 PM
> On 4/27/2011 12:43 PM, Todd Cary
> wrote:
> > On 4/26/2011 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> >> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop
> with Samba
> >> providing access to my Linux server.  Since
> Linux is more
> >> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to
> access my Linux
> >> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully
> via VNC or some
> >> similar application and then access the Windows
> desktop (if it is
> >> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
> >>
> >> What is the best VNC like application to install
> or use on the
> >> Linux server?
> >>
> >> Todd
> >>
> > WOW!  A few choices.  in checking the ssh
> configuration file, I
> > am setup using password authentication - not the best
> choice.  If
> > I change that to NO, is it easy to change my ssh
> client?  One
> > client I use is SSH Tectia.
>
> Clients normally try key-based authentication first if they
> have the
> private side of the identity key.
>
> > Of course, this will require a
> > change in FreeNX.
>
> The NX client uses passwordless key authentication to
> connect as the nx
> user first, then uses that encrypted channel to do
> password-based
> authentication as the actual user.  So you at least
> have to permit
> passwords over the loopback (127.0.0.x) interface.
>
> --
>    Les Mikesell
>     lesmikesell at gmail.com

I just tried FreeNX on server (centos), and NX Client from Nomachine. Setup was not bad, though too many sources of info. Settled on centos wiki doc to get me going.
However, once I got logged in (using gnome), there are some very normal applications that I am unable to launch, and they work flawlessly with Xming (or the commercial Xwin32). For example, I am unable to launch a gui for our backup program, netvault, gui is "nvgui". It simply flashes, and dies out. That was on day one.
I suspended the session, and tried to re-attach this morning. It worked, great. However, it seems to have a big issue with backing store. I have killed all sessions, reconnected, same issue. If I "shake" a window, it leaves its traces all over, and there is nothing I can do about it but kill the session again and retry. Any ideas?