[CentOS] Centos 6 Update?

Tue Apr 5 11:29:17 UTC 2011
Michael Simpson <mikie.simpson at gmail.com>

On 4 April 2011 23:11, David Brian Chait <dchait at invenda.com> wrote:
> I have to provide a reliable and scalable infrastructure, and that requires a reliable provider / updates. While I do not need Centos 6 today, this development cycle has certainly raised questions as to whether the development process can be relied upon. The whole "when it's ready" mantra works well for academic/individual users, but you can't plan business processes based on it.

Yet you can.
The only 5.6 update that has been rated as critical has been firefox.
The previous critical update was exim which was for 5.5 which we had.
I would place this firefox update at low priority as i would guess
that close to 100% of the millions of installations will be running
CentOS on servers rather than on workstations.
Whilst i use CentOS for my desktops, and appreciate the complete
stability that i have enjoyed since deploying 5.0 on these platforms i
really care about my internet facing production servers and these are
not impacted at all by waiting for 5.6 (or 6).

I am looking forward to 6 coming out but just so that i can play with
it and install it on some boxen that i have waiting in their packaging
but i am in no rush. In the same way i would rather have 5.6 when it
is done. Therefore the business process for remaining on 5 doesn't
change especially with php53 and bind97 in testing so already
available

Based on previous experience, if there was a critical update for a
core server service (or if there was an issue which was going to be
critical to systems within a certain time zone &c) then it would be
pushed sooner.

If your business process demands some feature of 6 (kvm / tpm / power
savings / storage drivers) then you have enough money to buy some
licences for rhel 6 to enable your testing and the beauty of CentOS is
knowing that you can then replicate and upscale your testing
environment to production on CentOS 6 without worrying about having to
go though another full testing cycle due to the promise of full binary
compatibility, not sure that you can do that with SL as they have a
different raison d'etre

With regards to communication to the community IMHO you can assume
that the lack of it indicates the effort required to get 4.9, 5.6 and
6 out the door and underlines the devs determination to get it right
first time. As evidence of this, follow CentOS mailing list and look
at how many "help" threads are from problems with the core product.

It must be quite a burden to know that releasing CentOS that isn't bug
for bug compatible with RHEL or is flawed in some way could cause
many, many production servers to fall over.

I would like to thank the devs for all their time and effort

mike