[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Thu Apr 7 13:14:56 UTC 2011
Markus Falb <markus.falb at fasel.at>

On 7.4.2011 14:47, Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>>> If anyone can suggest a simpler way of installing CentOS
>>> on a machine without a CD drive I should be interested to hear.
>>>

>> I thought I did that a long time ago.  Put the small boot.img file that is
>> in the /images on the CD or DVD isos on a USB drive (you can use a
>> loopback mount to get it if you can't find a place to download it
>> separately), boot from it, pick nfs as the install method, and point it to
>> the directory containing the CD
>> iso images that you have under an NFS export on another box.

> But when I said "simple" I really meant
> "following official methods and instructions given by Them,
> the CentOS powers-that-be".
>
> I assume that the lack of a CD drive on the HP micro-server
> is a sign of things to come,
> so I would hope there would be an official method of installing CentOS
> on such a machine.

I think what Les suggested is one official supported method as outlined
in the Installation Guide. How "official" do you want it ?

I prefer PXE, but thats also not "simple", and not possible in every
environment, colocations for instance.

--
Kind Regards, Markus Falb