[CentOS] why are warning be treated as errors?

Thu Apr 7 15:45:32 UTC 2011
Steve Clark <sclark at netwolves.com>

On 04/07/2011 10:25 AM, Brunner, Brian T. wrote:
> centos-bounces at centos.org wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to compile RHEL-6 kernel srpm on Fedora 14 and
>> run into the following problem. From what I read
>> -Werror flag causes warnings to be treated as errors - but I
>> don't see that flag on in the following. Any ideas?
> My guess:
> gcc4.4.4 had --disable-werror by default, so we must -werror explicitly
> to get warning treated as errors;
> gcc4.5.1 does NOT have --disable-werror by default, so,
> unless you specify --disable-werror on the compile line, warnings are
> treated like errors.
>
> I don't have either compiler version here at work, so I can't verify.
>
> ANYHOW, if your 4.5.1 build tree Makefile has CFLAGS with
> --disable-werrors in it, does the problem go away?

Hmm... If I understand you, then I need to rebuild gcc with this config option? - I am using the gcc that came with f14 - Is there a switch to gcc to disable this 'feature' when I am trying to build a kernel - like -fdont-treat-warnings-as-errors ;-)

--
Stephen Clark
*NetWolves*
Email: steve.clark at netwolves.com