[CentOS] CentOS-5.5 Live CD & netinstall

Fri Apr 8 23:39:35 UTC 2011
Timothy Murphy <gayleard at eircom.net>

Lamar Owen wrote:

>> > USB disks _can_ have partitions (obviously, since you can stick about
>> > any drive into a usb adapter),
>
>> The instructions in <http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-
>> US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/
>> certainly advise making a partition /dev/sdb1
>> with partition type b and running mkdosfs on it.
>
> Have you successfully booted with this USB stick before?  Some USB sticks
> aren't bootable.

Several times, including now after following the instructions in
<http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-
US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html/Installation_Guide/ch02s04.html>.

Previously it had the CentOS Live CD on it, which ran perfectly.
(That was how I installed CentOS on my new HP Microserver,
after it was pointed out to me that you had to press SPACE
during the boot to bring up a choice including Network Install.)

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net