[CentOS] ext4 support in anaconda?

Sun Apr 10 15:37:29 UTC 2011
Tom H <tomh0665 at gmail.com>

On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 10:40 AM, Rainer Traut <tr.ml at gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 10.04.2011 15:30, schrieb Tom H:
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2011 at 7:59 AM, Rainer Traut<tr.ml at gmx.de>  wrote:
>>>
>>> it looks like, I cannot format a partition as ext4 while install.
>>> I thought upstream has ext4 fully supported in 5.6?
>>> I looked in release notes but only found reference to ext4 in RHEL5.6
>>
>> From
>> http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/5/html-single/5.6_Technical_Notes/index.html
>>
>> As of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5.6 the ext4 file system is fully
>> supported. However, provisioning ext4 file systems with the anaconda
>> installer is not supported, and ext4 file systems need to be
>> provisioned manually after the installation.
>
> Thx Tom for making this clear.

You're welcome.

At the risk of spreading FUD, I'd use mfs.ext4 rather than mke4fs:
http://www.redhat.com/archives/rhelv5-list/2011-February/msg00032.html

Soon enough (and I'm *NOT* complaining about the pace of development)
you'll be able to select ext4 in anaconda in CentOS 6. It may even be
the default although I could be confusing Fedora with RHEL 6...