[CentOS] 5.6 - SRPM's

Sun Apr 10 15:47:04 UTC 2011
Tom Diehl <tdiehl at rogueind.com>

Hi,

On Sun, 10 Apr 2011, Kai Schaetzl wrote:

> Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote on Sun, 10 Apr 2011 12:53:54 +0200:
>
>> Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding. I add that line in any
>> *.repo file in /etc/yum.repos.d/ folder, as an option for every
>> repository definition in those files where repository has "releases" rpms.
>
> I don't understand the problem. If you edit a .repo file it is usually not
> overwritten, the new repo file is saved as .rpmnew. So, I think this creates
> only a problem in the case that you completely remove a .repo file.
> What am I misunderstanding? (Sorry for the pun, I think I'm mostly talking
> to Tom ;-)

I cannot speak for the other Tom but in my case I rebuild the centos-release
rpm and add my own repo files so that all of my machines pull from my local
repos. Yes, I know that the modified repo files do not get overwritten but
that does not help for new machines nor does it help when I change my local
configuration. When I rebuild the centos-release rpm I actually modify it so
that a new version  of the rpm overwrites any existing .repo files. That
way I know all of the machines under my control are only pulling updates I have
approved and placed into my local repos.

It would be nice if this srpm was released with the main distro. Rebuilding
other packages can come later when all of the srpms are available but this
particular package is important for me being able to update the machines. In
fact I usually end up hacking up the first cut of the centos-release rpm for a
new release based on the previous version (in this case 5.5) so that I can do
my upgrades. It is not all that hard to do but it would be easier if I had
the official srpm.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl