[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Mon Apr 11 20:20:59 UTC 2011
Dag Wieers <dag at wieers.com>

On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Tru Huynh wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 10:00:57PM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:
>> On Mon, 11 Apr 2011, Tru Huynh wrote:
>>
>>> right: you are locked inside a maze, there is one exit somewhere.
>>> Everyone start from the same place, eveyone benefit from the
>>> person who find the exit. We don't have the solution at the moment,
>>> You get the QA builds once we find the exit. If you finish before us
>>> let us know how you did it.
>>
>> No, you have 2500 mazes, and you have to finish each of them before you
>> can start the next one. In the meantime, other people (including the
>> CentOS people) are getting lost in that same (but copied) maze, so you
>> cannot help each other find the exit, until you do.
>
> My maze is the build order (ie dependancy order of the SRPMS),
> What are yours? how do you get to that number of mazes?

The build order is not what took 86 days, was it ?

> Feel free to coordinate, we will all profit from your coordination skills.

We don't need the coordination anymore, you have the secret now for
CentOS 5.6 (and the previous builds) I am certain that if more people
understood the basic problems with building CentOS, more people would be
skilled to help in the next iteration.

Now every release that is closed, is a lost opportunity to attract more
people.

>> Let's waste time together fixing something that someone may already have
>> fixed, who wouldn't be excited about that !
>
> Is this kind of useless discussion better?

If it would help to get more people the skills to help with the release,
absolutely ! No community project thrives by keeping potential
contributors ignorant.

It's only useless if there's no change.