[CentOS] Best configuration for /var/www/html/

Tue Apr 12 15:02:48 UTC 2011
Todd Cary <todd at aristesoftware.com>

On 4/12/2011 6:56 AM, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On 04/11/2011 04:50 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> For a long period of time, my Apache root directory has been
>> /home/httpd.  For security reasons, this is not so good as
>> SELinux has informed me.  Now all of the files have been copied
>> to /var/www/etc with owner and group "root".  The privileges are
>> 754 (rwxr-xr--), however apache does not have access to them.
>> Should the owner be apache?  Group?
>>
>> Todd
>>
> You will need give the user who is running the httpd daemon (apache by
> default) the required access to the files.
>
> If you have things that need to be written, you will need to give that
> user (again, apache by default)  write access to those files/directories.
>
> You control who an httpd instance runs as in the httpd.conf file ...
> look for User and Group in your httpd.conf file.  This will tell you for
> the default install:
>
> egrep '^User|^Group' /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf
>
> You will need to set user and/or group permissions on your directory as
> required based on who is running the httpd daemon.

Thank you!  Yes, httpd.conf does have the correct parameters:

#
User apache
Group apache

Since I am a "Sunday user" of Linux in that once I set it up, it
may be months before I need to do anything other than backup and
run yum update.  As a result, my Linux skills are not like
someone using Linux daily (wish I did not have to earn my living
in the Windows world).  So, I wanted to make sure that changing
the Owner and Group to "apache" for /var/www/ was correct.

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Petaluma, CA 94952