[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Tue Apr 12 17:46:42 UTC 2011
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On 4/12/2011 12:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 04/12/2011 05:19 PM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>>> Fixing the timing of release is something we get from getting the
>>> process into the right place. And not the other way around. There seems
>> NO ONE IS SAYING TO PUSH CRAP OUT THE DOOR JUST FOR THE SAKE OF
>> GETTING IT OUT.  EVERYONE IS SAYING TO OPEN THE PROCESS SO THEY CAN
>> HELP GET THE HIGH QUALITY STUFF OUT THE DOOR FASTER.
>
> erm, you seem confused. Because that is sort of the exact point that I
> was making - get the process right, and if its in the right place we get
> the free win from faster output.

Yes, we are confused because we don't actually know where the time goes.
  We are assuming that there is some iterative process that perhaps
could be done in parallel, discarding all of the 'wrong' attempts at
once instead of waiting until you realize one is wrong to repeat it.
Maybe you could estimate the time consumption of the various steps in
the process to help us understand.  Rounding to the nearest month would
be a start...

> Also, if you think that just having something out there that people can
> randomly drive-by and fix is going to work, you must be either really
> clueless or just new to open source.

I thought that other than removing trademark info, it has been stated
that you don't change anything but the build environment between
builds/tests.  That seems very different from programmers trying to
improve code.  But, very much like improving code, you can't do much to
improve speed without profiling the existing process to see where the
time is consumed.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com