[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Wed Apr 13 15:05:40 UTC 2011
compdoc <compdoc at hotrodpc.com>

> The biggest issue isn't the spindown.  Google 'WDTLER' and see the other,
bigger, issue.  In a nutshell, TLER (Time-Limited Error Recovery; see
https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/TLER ) allows the drive to
not try to recover soft errors quite as long.  The error recovery time can
cause the drive to drop out of RAID sets and be marked as faulted.

Yes, I'm aware of that and it's the reason I have to replace drives
developing reallocated sectors: they get dropped by my 3ware controllers.
There's a penalty for using cheap drives, but there's also a benefit from
the low heat and power savings.

To me, drives and power supplies are a consumable item - something you're
going to have to replace from time to time. I'm used to it since I service
computers for a living. I've seen enterprise drives fail too, although
probably not as often.

By the way, I'm seeing too many ppl with failing SSD's to start relying on
those yet. I own one so far, but it's not used much.