[CentOS] How can a company help, officially?

Thu Apr 14 12:31:09 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

[Donning my Nomex/Kevlar/non-friable asbestos suit here....]

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 12:25:49 AM Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 4/14/11, Phil Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner at nasa.gov> wrote:
> > Johnny Hughes wrote on 04/13/2011 12:55 PM:
> >> CentOS is ... right now ... deployed on 29% of web
> >> servers on the Internet that use Linux.
> >
> > That 28.9% is down from the high of 33.5% in Oct. 2010 or a 13.8% decrease.
> > http://w3techs.com/technologies/history_details/os-linux
>
> It coincides very nicely with a similar increase in Debian and Ubuntu
> usage. Anybody knows what happened around/before that period that
> might had initiated the migrations? Since it's based on web servers,
> surely it can't be the multi-touch support in Ubuntu 10.10 :)

As much as I like CentOS, and as much as I appreciate the CentOS team's work, I can't help but see a correlation in the timeframes of the beginning of the latest round of 'intense discussions' on the list and the decrease in that percentage.

People have been told to go elsewhere if they didn't like the status quo, and it seems that they have.  It might not be the reason; but it could be the reason.

Just stating a simple correlation; not making a judgment call from that correlation, and not giving a detailed, dramatic, commentary on it either.

And I plan to stick with CentOS for the foreseable future, unless events cause a need to change things (similar to the events that caused me to take our WhiteBox machines to CentOS years ago).