[CentOS] Expanding RAID 10 array, WAS: 40TB File System Recommendations

Thu Apr 14 14:44:00 UTC 2011
Christopher Chan <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 10:11 PM, Ray Van Dolson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 14, 2011 at 10:07:55PM +0800, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
>> On 4/14/11, John R Pierce<pierce at hogranch.com>  wrote:
>>> since this is the centos list, I really didn't want to suggest this, but
>>> if I was building a 20 or 40TB or whatever storage server, I do believe
>>> I'd be strongly consider using Solaris, or one of its variants like
>>> OpenIndiana, with ZFS.
>>>
>>> ZFS was engineered from the ground up to scale to zetabytes
>>
>> I was actually considering this but then came news that Oracle was
>> killing OpenSolaris and likely to be pushing OCFS so decided I
>> probably don't want to have something come bite me a year or two down
>> the road. I'm not sure how things developed since then though.
>>
>> But based on your recommendation and Christopher Chan's, it would seem
>> like you guys don't think that long term support/updates would be an
>> issue for ZFS?
>
> ZFS and OCFS play in different spaces.  And ZFS is going nowhere... if
> you want to use on an "open" OS, OpenIndiana may be a good bet, but
> you're best short-term / "mature" option would be Nexenta or Solaris
> Express.

Huh? What gives Nexenta a better advantage over OpenIndiana? They are
both in the same boat. Both will have to migrate to illumos and move
away from the last OpenSolaris ON release. Oh, Nexenta has a company
backing it? Makes no different when both projects will be using the same
core image. Now, if OpenIndiana resists using illumos, then you will
have a case for Nexenta over OpenIndiana.