[CentOS] 40TB File System Recommendations

Thu Apr 14 18:17:41 UTC 2011
aurfalien at gmail.com <aurfalien at gmail.com>

On Apr 14, 2011, at 6:43 AM, Ross Walker wrote:

> On Apr 14, 2011, at 6:54 AM, John Jasen <jjasen at realityfailure.org>
> wrote:
>
>> On 04/13/2011 09:04 PM, Ross Walker wrote:
>>> On Apr 13, 2011, at 7:26 PM, John Jasen
>>> <jjasen at realityfailure.org> wrote:
>>
>> <snipped my stuff>
>>

>>> Every now and then I hear these XFS horror stories. They seem too
>>> impossible to believe.
>>>
>>> Nothing breaks for absolutely no reason and failure to know where
>>> the breakage was shows that maybe there wasn't adequately skilled
>>> techinicians for the technology deployed.
>>
>> Waving your hands and insulting the people who went through XFS
>> failures
>> doesn't make me feel any better or make the problems not have
>> occurred.
> You are correct it came across as rude and condescending, I apologize.
>
> It was a knee jerk reaction that came from reading many such posts
> that XFS is no good because it caused X where X came about because
> people didn't know how to implement XFS safely or correctly.

Well, while a fan of anything IRIX, I've had issues with XFS in the
past as with all filesystems.

I still use it but not in all cases.

A good fs, fast, reliable for the most part but by no means a fan boi
of it.

You did come across as a serious fan though.

However if you like XFS, I'll assume you liek IRIX so check the 5dwm
project which is the IRIX desktop for Linux.

- aurf