[CentOS] [OT] ups advice

Thu Apr 14 19:33:30 UTC 2011
Lamar Owen <lowen at pari.edu>

On Thursday, April 14, 2011 02:55:51 PM John R Pierce wrote:
> http://powerquality.eaton.com/Products-services/Backup-Power-UPS/5125.aspx
> or similar for this application.   I'd take one of those up versus the
> same size APC SmartUps any day.

We have a 5KVA Best Ferrups here that has never worked correctly.... :-)  But I've seen my share of toasted APC's, too.

Currently we run older APC SmartUPS (pure sine) for the workstation stuff and Symmetras in the Data Centers.  Looking to put in a Toshiba or similar 500KVA in the secondary Data Center later in the year.

> BTW, another thing the 'good' UPS's do, more important than 'pure
> sinusoidal output' for computer purposes*, is buck/boost voltage regulation.

Yes.

> * if you're running audio gear off a UPS, you definitely want the
> sinusoidal output, but thats another market entirely.

Or old 3Com Corebuilder/CellPlex 7000 gear, which shuts down with anything but pure sinewave.....