[CentOS] [OT] ups advice

Fri Apr 15 14:48:28 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 04/15/11 4:38 AM, Howard Fleming wrote:
> I have used several Best Ferrups UPSs over the years, other than one
> that toasted it's transformer, have never had any trouble out of them
> (just replace the battery every 3 to 4 years....).
>
> They are picky about their input power, do not run not connect them to
> an auto regulating transformer (not the proper term?), or on the output
> of other UPSs, it can cause interesting problems...

I don't think they make any FerrUPS anymore.  Those were based on a
massive ferroresonant transformer which, yes, is very sensitive to the
input frequency.  Specifically, they don't like generator power, unless
it has extremely well regulated frequency output (such as a DC generator
with a digital sinusoidal converter)