[CentOS] cents 5.6 ..... futur

Sat Apr 16 05:18:26 UTC 2011
Devin Reade <gdr at gno.org>

John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com> wrote:

> have all your configuration under a change management system, with an at
> least semi-automated installation procedure, such as kickstart.

Or have the self discipline to keep a text file (or other record) of
*all* changes you make to a system as root or other role account.
I always keep a running log, complete with dates and who makes the
change, as /root/`hostname`-mods.  Trivial operations (that any junior
sysadmin would be expected to know) get described. Anything more complex
gets the actual commands entered (minus passwords).

It's extra work, however not only has it saved my bacon a lot over the
years in figuring out, after the fact, what caused something to break
but even more often it has been invaluable in recreating a system or
quickly implementing similar functions on other systems.

Yes, this is a form of a change management system, just with little
overhead.  It is also more suited to server environments where each
one might be slightly different as opposed to (for example) corporate
workstation environments where you can have a large number of homogeneous
machines.  In that case, there are many other tools more suitable,
with higher setup costs, but the amortized cost is lower.

Devin
--
When I was little, my grandfather used to make me stand in a closet for
five minutes without moving. He said it was elevator practice.