[CentOS] rpmbuild: definition of the %prep script

Mon Apr 18 17:09:11 UTC 2011
Volker Poplawski <volker at openbios.org>

On 04/18/2011 06:52 PM, Joseph L. Casale wrote:
>> Actually I'm trying to figure out where these lines originate from
>
> I see
>
>> Executing(%prep): /bin/sh -e /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.86989
>> + umask 022
>> + cd /home/user/rpmbuild/BUILD
>> + LANG=C
>> + export LANG
>>
>> The setting of LANG messes up my build, which relies on Utf8.
>
> So export this in the build environments shell, afaik if its previously
> it will not redefine it.
>
> export LANG=en_US.UTF-8
> rpmbuild<...>
>
> Try that out.

LANG=en_US.UTF-8
is already set on Centos 5.

What does help is to put export LANG=en_US.UTF-8 first line in the
%prep, %build... sections

Afaik UTF-8 is default for most linux distributions nowadays (not sure
about debian). I wonder why (and where) rpmbuild on centos sets LANG to
something different. I can tell that OpenSuse 11.x does not modify LANG
in rpmbuild as I'm porting a package from there.