[CentOS] Adding comments to /etc/sysconfig/iptables

Sun Apr 24 12:31:38 UTC 2011
Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com>

Alexander Farber wrote on Sun, 24 Apr 2011 09:04:30 +0200:

> i.e. there is "sudo service iptables save",
> but I've yet to discover its usefulness

You can add rules on the fly and save them. For instance, I have a certain
"starter script" with iptables rules and other filtering stuff grown over
the years. I adapt that, put it on new machines and run it once. Then I
save that and only add rules to it from the command line. If I know I want
to keep them I save them, otherwise I don't and they will finally go away
with the next reboot (e.g. abused mailservers or spambots usually last
only for a few days). If there are rules, that I want to keep for longer
and/or distribute to other machines I put them in the starter script.

Kai