[CentOS] Setting up a GUI remote access

Tue Apr 26 17:05:23 UTC 2011
John R Pierce <pierce at hogranch.com>

On 04/26/11 9:25 AM, Todd Cary wrote:
> Currently I have VNC running on my Windows desktop with Samba
> providing access to my Linux server.  Since Linux is more
> reliable than Windows, I would like to be able to access my Linux
> (Centos 5.5) via my Windows notebook - hopefully via VNC or some
> similar application and then access the Windows desktop (if it is
> not locked up :-) ) with Samba.
>
> What is the best VNC like application to install or use on the
> Linux server?

for connecting to a windows host from a linux host, you want rdesktop.
for connecting from a remote windows host (your laptop) through a linux
firewall to a protected windows host (your desktop), I would use ssh w/
port forwarding such that you forward localhost:3390 (on the laptop) to
windesk:3389 via an SSH connection to the linux host in the middle.
For example, using a command line SSH util on your laptop, and assuming
your desktop is 192.168.0.10 on the LAN behind the lunix box at
123.123.123.123

     ssh -L 3390:192.168.0.10:3389 unixuser at 123.123.123.123

you would then use the Windows RDP client, aka mstsc.exe, on the Laptop,
and connect to localhost:3390 to manage the remote windows desktop over
this ssh tunnel.

you can do much the same with PuTTY or SecureCRT via the GUI connection
setup dialogs on the windows laptop.

If you want to view the Linux desktop, thats a different problem, best
addressed by FreeNX or similar.