[CentOS] Installing/configuring a second HD

Wed Apr 27 18:31:30 UTC 2011

Todd Cary wrote:
> My old server was Centos 4.8 and it is on a HD that is NOT
> connected.  The new Centos 5.5 is the active HD.  Everything
> appears to be working, so my intent is to jumper the old HD as a
> slave, wipe it clean and have it as a backup drive.  Since my

"Slave"? I haven't seen that since IDE drives....

> Linux skills are minimum, I thought it best to heck with the
> experts to find the best (safest) way to accomplish my goal.
>
> I assume that the old drive will auto-mount, however I am not

Not sure about that. Certainly, a little while ago, when I pulled a root
drive out of one server, which was powered down, and shoved it into a hot
swap bay of an identical system, /dev/sdb[123] were created, but since
it's not in /etc/fstab, it wasn't mounted. I mounted it manually.

Removable media do get automounted, but to /media/whatever.

        mark