[CentOS] high performance open source DHCP solution?

R P Herrold herrold at owlriver.com
Mon Aug 1 19:34:28 UTC 2011

On Mon, 1 Aug 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> --On Wednesday, July 20, 2011 12:54 AM -0300 Rogelio <scubacuda at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> The free DHCP solution, ISC, seems to be having scaling issues (i.e.
>> handling only about 200 DHCPDISCOVER and 20 DHCPRENEW requests)

I've only been watching this thread with half attention ---

DHCP is UDP based -- as such it does not handle collision
retry logic on the server side (a server cannot resend what it
does not know [due to a collision and drop] a client has
requested of it)

So client retries are in play -- the ISC dhcpd server is able
to handle loads substantially above the rates quoted per
minute

I've had setups involving LTSP PXE booting of diskless
workstations, supporting several hundred such clients all
booting within 5 minutes of one another at a shift start

It is necessary to model, or perhaps view with tcpdump of
ethereal, that traffic to see why the transfers are falling
apart

-- Russ herrold