[CentOS] EL6: Hard Disk upgrade howto?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Aug 3 15:36:28 UTC 2011

On 8/1/2011 11:16 PM, Benjamin Smith wrote:

> I tried using Clonezilla to clone a 300 GB SAS drive to a 1 TB SATA
> drive. I don't care *at* *all* if there's some wasted space - I just
> want it to *work*. But it thew a screen full of random textual garbage
> on the screen and not much helpful information when I hit the "go" button.
>

> (sigh)

I've used clonezilla frequently and have never seen that kind of failure
(although I haven't tried it on an ext4 filesystem yet).  That sounds
like a bad download or iso burn to me.  Did you verify the md5sum?
Also, it is usually safest to use the latest available
'alternative-stable' (ubuntu based) release which would be the iso from:
http://clonezilla.org/downloads/alternative/iso-zip-files.php

If you have time to experiment, it would also be interesting to see how
you fare with 'rear', which you can install via yum from epel.  You run
it on your working system and it creates a bootable iso that knows how
to reconstruct the existing filesystem (lvm/md/etc.) layout and restore
a backup (of various types).  The documentation leaves a lot to be desired:
http://rear.sourceforge.net/
but it does seem to understand more about linux quirks than anything
similar that I've seen.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com