[CentOS] Two ftp clients? Why?

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Wed Aug 3 17:35:56 UTC 2011

Les Mikesell wrote:
>>> So what does???
<snip>
>> One is that the source is highly unportable.  It heavily uses forks and
>> pipes and such which have no direct equivalent under Windows.  All of
>> that would have to be abstracted away as they've done in the
>> first-quality ports mentioned above.
>
> Yes, I've been surprised that no one has done a native port.  Hmmm, I
<snip>
Here's a question: back around '96 or '97, M$ announced that they'd made
NT POSIX compatible, including a Korn shell*. Is that anywhere inside
Windows, still? If so, I'd think it would allow a lot....

         mark

* Amusing related true story: M$ honcho at a convention, and giving a long
spiel about their new Korn shell. An older man got up in the rear of the
hall, and responded that it wasn't really a full implementation. The M$
honcho started to argue with him... until someone else got up, and pointed
out that the honcho was arguing with Dr. Korn.

M$ honcho had the grace to look embarrassed.