[CentOS] CentOS 6, Postfix Dovecot

Ned Slider ned at unixmail.co.uk
Wed Aug 3 17:58:55 UTC 2011

On 03/08/11 17:28, John Hinton wrote:
> I only have one Postfix server running at the moment and have some
> questions. On that install, I did Amavisd-new with ClamAV, SpamAssassin,
> Postfix and Dovecot.
>
> I know this is a bit off topic, but I'm really hoping for performance
> guidance.
>
> Is the added layer of complexity running Amavis worth the effort on a
> system with moderate mail flow? Or should I just go down the path of
> getting Clam and SA working with Postfix and be done with it?

That really depends if you want the extra functionality Amavisd-new
offers. For example, do you want to be able to quarantine spam/viruses
or simply tag them as such and leave it for the end user to filter in
their inbox? (although I suspect there's many ways to implement a
quarantine other than amavisd).

> Whatever path I decide upon now will hopefully be the future for other
> system builds to come. I have about a dozen Sendmail installs running
> (which will eventually need to be moved over). Some of what I didn't
> like about those is Clam/AV and other checks occurred on both incoming
> and outgoing email. We pretty much don't have an outbound email virus or
> spam problem, so were getting a number of false positives due to DHCP
> and clients being assigned a dirty IP address from time to time.
>
> So yes, what's a good mailserver setup which hopefully stays as close to
> upstream as possible on 6.0?

I don't see much relevance in what upstream does, but FWIW the default
MTA in RHEL6 is now Postfix. Dovecot is a sensible choice and integrates
well with Postfix. rpmforge has an updated amavisd/SA/ClamAV stack
that's generally very reliable for production use.

I run Postfix/Dovecot with Amavisd-new/SA/Clam on el5 and am more than
happy with that setup, but there are many ways to skin this particular
cat and much will depend on your own personal preference.