[CentOS] Interactive PXE install

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Fri Aug 5 00:42:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, 4 Aug 2011, Kenneth Porter wrote:

> The guides for a LAN install I've found all want to do an automated
> kickstart install. Are there any guides that explain how to use eg.
> CentOS-6.0-i386-netinstall.iso for an interactive PXE installation?
>
> I think I understand the DHCP config and I've got tftpd installed on
> my CentOS 5 server and see the empty /tftpboot directory. I'm
> guessing I need to unpack some of the files in the iso image into
> /tftpboot in some special layout and add some files from
> /usr/lib/syslinux. What's not clear is what files in the image go
> where in the tftpboot system, and what the menu stanza should look
> like in the menu file.

LABEL centos-6-text.x86_64
   MENU LABEL CentOS 6 x86_64 text installer
   KERNEL images/centos/6/x86_64/vmlinuz
   APPEND initrd=images/centos/6/x86_64/initrd.img ramdisk_size=100000 text

The images/ directory lives in /tftpboot on our tftp server.

The vmlinuz and initrd.img both come from the images/pxeboot directory
in the install tree, e.g.,

   http://mirrors.cat.pdx.edu/centos/6/os/x86_64/images/pxeboot/

Of course, you might not want a text installation, given that it's
braindead compared to its graphical counterpart...