[CentOS] Intel 82599 driver?

Peter Kjellström cap at nsc.liu.se
Fri Aug 5 14:46:14 UTC 2011

On Friday, August 05, 2011 04:28:20 PM Lars Hecking wrote:
> Lars Hecking writes:
> > > There are more than one NIC-model with 82599EB and evidently not all
> > > work with
> > >
> > > the CentOS driver. What we're using successfully is X520-DA2:
> > >  Intel Corporation 82599EB 10-Gigabit Network Connection (rev 01)
> > >
> > > What do you have?
> >
> >  http://www.intel.com/support/network/sb/cs-012904.htm
> >
> >  PCI id 151c = X520-T2.
>
>  Just to close this old thread: in a few months of operation, we have
> repeatedly run into problems where the servers just dropped off the
> network with pretty much nothing logged on the server or the switch side.
> The symptoms are strikingly similar to the problem described here (Peter
> K, you should have remembered :)

I guess it slipped my mind since it wasn't me having the problem, heh.

>   http://lists.us.dell.com/pipermail/linux-poweredge/2011-March/044417.html
>
>  and the same solution works for us - replacing the standard CentOS ixgbe
>  driver with the latest from Intel.

Our X520 are still stable except for one recent problem, 2.6.18-238.9.1 ->
2.6.18-238.12.1 broke it quite bad. With 238.12.1 our servers start dropping
all incomming packets after a while. Sanity can be (temporarily restored with
a "ethtool --negotiate ethX").

We are currently running a kernel that excludes:
 linux-2.6-net-ixgbe-fix-for-82599-erratum-on-header-splitting.patch
since that's what seems to break our setup.

/Peter