[CentOS] CentOS 6 kernel update and grub.conf...

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Aug 8 11:00:38 UTC 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, John Doe wrote:

> From: John Doe <jdmls at yahoo.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] CentOS 6 kernel update and grub.conf...
>
> From: Keith Roberts <keith at karsites.net>
>
>>>  I ran a yum update and it installed a new kernel.
>>>  but it did not modify the grub.conf file.
>>>  Is this the new behavior or...?
>>
>> Have you moved grub.conf at all - like to a different boot
>> partition, or changed any symlinks to grub.conf?
>
> I did not move anything; it is a brand new install...
> The only thing that might be out of ordinary is that the yum update
> is made from a kickstart chrooted post script...

I've never done one of them - so I wouldn't know. Maybe that
is where the problem is?

So are you telling me you do a fresh installation AND an
update all in one go?

I think it's best to do the initial installation and then
reboot the machine to run from the kernel you have just
installed. There maybe things that need to be setup during
the first boot that are being missed if trying to do to much
from the kickstart install media.

You might like to check out my Auto Linux Installer scripts
here:

http://www.karsites.net/centos/anyuser/auto-linux-installer.php

On centos 5.6 I use them to do a minimal kickstart
installation that sets the machine up. Then the rest of the
installation is completed from another ALI script.

Plus you can automatically setup the system services
using these scripts.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites: