[CentOS] CentOS 6 kernel update and grub.conf...

Keith Roberts keith at karsites.net
Mon Aug 8 16:43:59 UTC 2011

On Mon, 8 Aug 2011, John Doe wrote:

*snip*

> I do *everything* in the chrooted post, so that I can just shutdown
> after install and the server is ready to be plugged.
> It used to work fine with 5.x...
> Everything also seems to work fine for 6.x, except for grubby.
> I caught a "Grubby fatal error : unable to find a suitable template".
> Found many bug reports (some as old as 2004), but no real fix...
> For now, I just add the entry to grub.conf in my script and it boots
> fine on the new kernel.
> I noticed that if I run the new-kernel-pkg after the reboot, it does not
> complain anymore and the root in grub.conf is different:
>   The one added by new-kernel-pkg (after a reboot):
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=LABEL=/
>   The one I added (that works too):
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.29.1.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=abd50638...
>   Original:
>     kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.32-71.el6.x86_64 ro root=UUID=abd50638...

My system is obviously set up differently than yours, and my
installtion methods are different as well.

Whenever there's a kernel update on my system, the new
kernel packages are installed, and the grub.conf file does
not get updated. Which is THE WAY I want it to be. I never
did like the way grub.conf got updated behind my back, so to
speak, after a kernel update.

Now I don't need to worry about a new kernel busting
anything, as the previous working kernel will be booted,
even after a kernel update.

It's only 3 lines in grub.conf to add for a kernel update-
so it's not a problem at all.

I also keep the original grub.conf entry for the default
kernel of the installation DVD disk. That way if I ever need
to do a fresh installation from DVD using a kickstart file,
I already have that entry in my own custom grub.conf file.

Kind Regards,

Keith Roberts

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net