[CentOS] Can two machines in the same network have the same hostname with different IPs?

Rudi Ahlers Rudi at SoftDux.com
Tue Aug 9 10:16:21 UTC 2011

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Indunil Jayasooriya
<indunil75 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 3:13 PM, Diego Sanchez <diegors at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Are you trying to use Round Robin DNS?
>> Yes, you can
>>
>> But, remember.. If you use same hostname, the client will access to
>> them in "random"
>>
>> thanks for the quick answer. NOT to use Round robin DNS.
>

> on one server, under /etc/sysconfig/network hostname field
>
> HOSTNAME=mail.example.com
>

> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
>
> IPADDR=192.168.0.1
>

> on the other server, under /etc/sysconfig/network hostname field also
>
>  HOSTNAME=mail.example.com
>

> and /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 file
>
> IPADDR=192.168.0.2
>

> is it possible? is it recommend?
>

> my task is to have 2 zimbra servers with mail.example.com with 2 ips
>
> 192.168.0.1 is the primary, I want to rsync /opt of this server to the other
> server 192.168.0.2.
>

> then, primary fails, I have a backup on the other server. no data lost....
>

> This is what I want to achieve. but, NOT for any kind of ROUND ribbon DNS
> stuff..
>

> is it possible? is it recommend?
>

> Pls answer?

Diego actually already answered you.

And yes it can be done.
And, yes, it's generally used for round robin DNS, whether you
actually want to use round robin DNS or not.

P.S. Please don't top-post.

--
Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers