[CentOS] Using Samba to share Apache web root, securely

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 21:57:16 UTC 2011

On 8/9/2011 4:34 PM, Trey Dockendorf wrote:

>     You could make a separate samba share with different ownership.  At some
>     point it might make more sense to use a web-based content manager that
>     understands logins/permissions or perhaps a wiki that permits uploads
>     instead of randomly mapping file access around.

> That will probably be the best option while we move these sites to a
> CMS.  The users are accustomed to using Windows drive letters that are
> mapped by our AD to access their content, and I'd like to have to leave
> that intact for now.

I haven't looked closely at it for a while, but Alfresco claims to do
both. http://www.alfresco.com/community/

That is, it can appear as a file share via jcifs while still layering
its content management logic over the view/access in the same way the
web server side does (and nfs, ftp, and webdav...).

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com