[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Aug 9 22:19:54 UTC 2011

on 8/9/2011 3:17 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
> On Wed, Aug 10, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Scott Silva<ssilva at sgvwater.com>  wrote:
>> on 8/9/2011 3:10 PM Rudi Ahlers spake the following:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I need to setup a real bare minimum CentOS Virtual Machine, but with
>>> normal internet / network access. i.e. I need SSH, Mutt, Links, lynx,
>>> ping, tracert, dig, iptables, etc.
>>>
>>> Does anyone know where (if?) I can get a list of applications which
>>> gets installed with CentOS 6 if every option is deselected in the
>>> installer so that I can see what I can remove which isn't really
>>> necessary once installed?
>>>

>> I think they are creating a minimal install CD image, if they haven't already
>> released it.

> Well, I setup CentOS 6 using the netinstall ISO, but want to know if
> there are still packages which I don't need and can remove

We are pleased to announce the immediate availability of
CentOS-6.0/minimal for i386 and x86_64 Architectures.

The minimal install iso media is an alternative install to the main
CentOS-6.0 distribution and comes with a trimmed down, preselected rpm
list. However, it still runs off the standard installer, with all the
regular features that one would expect from the main distribution,
except the rpm selection screen has been disabled. Running an install
from this media will not allow you to change the rpms selected for install.

Release Notes for this media can be found at :
http://wiki.centos.org/Manuals/ReleaseNotes/CentOSMinimalCD6.0