[CentOS] setting up bare minimal CentOS VM

Tom Diehl tdiehl at rogueind.com
Wed Aug 10 14:54:50 UTC 2011

On Tue, 9 Aug 2011, Craig White wrote:

> On Aug 9, 2011, at 3:40 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
>
>> On 08/09/11 3:10 PM, Rudi Ahlers wrote:
>>> Does anyone know where (if?) I can get a list of applications which
>>> gets installed with CentOS 6 if every option is deselected in the
>>> installer so that I can see what I can remove which isn't really
>>> necessary once installed?
>>
>> rpm -qa
>>
>> (after doing that minimal install)
>>
>> "really isn't neccessary" is highly subjective, noone else can make that
>> call for you.
> ----
> sheesh...
>
> after doing that minimal install, you have a complete kickstart script
> written for you already...
>
> /root/anaconda-ks.cfg
>
> I can't believe that no one actually picked up on that

In C6 this is very broken!! It is not useful. Sometimes it shows the packages
that were installed and most of the time it does not. In addition, it does not
even get the disk layout right. If I take what is in anaconda-ks.cfg and paste
it into a kickstart file. It blows chunks. Sometimes I can figure out what is
wrong but other times I cannot get it to work. I fought with a software raid 1
setup yesterday and never did get it to work.

At some point I need to file a bug wrt this but I have not taken the time to
do it yet.

Regards,

--
Tom Diehl       tdiehl at rogueind.com      Spamtrap address mtd123 at rogueind.com